ID :
451260
Thu, 06/15/2017 - 04:35
Auther :

Malaysian Family Opens Doors To London Fire Victims

KUALA LUMPUR, June 15 (Bernama) -- A Malaysian family residing in London has opened their doors to those affected by the fire that engulfed Grenfell Tower in North Kensington, London. Going by the name of Rowena Abdul Razak in her Facebook account, she extended the invitation a few hours after the incident. "Horrible news about the tower. If anyone has been affected, and if I can offer shelter, message me,” she wrote. According to news reports, the 27-storey apartment block was razed by a fire, believed to have started shortly before 1am local time Wednesday. More than 250 firefighters battled to rescue the residents with 100 policemen and 100 medics also present at the scene. Police confirmed that there were "a number of fatalities" while the London Ambulance Service said 50 people had been taken to five hospitals as of 8am (local time). When contacted by Bernama, the good samaritan said she could accommodate up to three persons at her house near Marble Arch. Asked as to how the people can contact her, she said, they could reach her through her Facebook account. Rowena said she and her family, however, were doing fine as the incident did not happen within the vicinity of her family home. "About a 10-15 minute drive. Yeah not far... just that with traffic, it might appear far," she said. She added that a local mosque, the 'Noor Mosque' was also currently offering shelter with fellow Muslims at the mosque providing a helping hand to those affected. Previously during the London's bridge attack, Rowena had also provided shelter and announced the invitation via the same channel. "For this incident (fire), sadly no one has approached me yet. However, during the previous London attack someone stayed with us ," she said. -- BERNAMA

X