ID :
696418
Thu, 04/03/2025 - 10:28
Auther :

MH370: Malaysia Signed Agreement With Ocean Infinity, Search To Recommence Year-end

SEPANG (Malaysia), April 3 (Bernama) -- The Malaysian government had signed an agreement with Ocean Infinity (United Kingdom) to reinstate the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

 

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said it was inked last week.

 

However, he said the search operation is currently halted, citing weather conditions, and is expected to resume at the end of this year. 

 

"I think right now it's not the (weather) season. I think they have stopped the operation for the time being and will resume the search at the end of this year," he told a press conference after welcoming the arrival of British Airways’ first flight to Malaysia after a five-year hiatus at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), here, Thursday.

 

Loke said this in response to an announcement by the Association for Families of the Passengers and Crew that the search for MAS flight MH370, which disappeared in March 2014, has been delayed until next summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

 

The association cited adverse weather conditions as well as Ocean Infinity's prior commitment as the cause behind the postponement.

 

It was earlier reported that the government had approved the terms and conditions of the service agreement with Ocean Infinity on a "no find, no fee" basis.

 

This means the Malaysian government will only be required to pay Ocean Infinity if the wreckage is discovered, with a success fee amounting to US$70 million.

 

The marine robotics company participated in the search for the missing aircraft from January 2018, covering more than 112,000 square kilometres of the southern Indian Ocean seabed before ending the mission on May 29, 2018.

 

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappeared on March 8, 2014, after departing from Kuala Lumpur en route to Beijing, China, with 239 passengers and crew members on board.

 

-- BERNAMA


X