ID :
177288
Fri, 04/22/2011 - 14:06
Auther :
Shortlink :
https://oananews.org//node/177288
The shortlink copeid
RESH THAI-CAMBODIAN CLASH: ONE KILLED, FIVE INJURED
By Jamaluddin Muhammad
BANGKOK, April 22 (Bernama) -- A Thai soldier was killed and five others injured during another clash between Thai and Cambodian troops at the Thai-Cambodian border on Friday morning, barely two months after a ceasefire was declared.
Police spokesman Pol Mej Gen Prawut Thawornsiri said the clash occurred near the ancient temples of Tamuen and Takwai, near Thai Santisuk village, Phanom Dongrak district of Surin province, at about 6am.
Both sides were reported to be firing guns and artillery. Villagers in the area have been evacuated, he said.
Previous clashes occurred on Feb 4 and 16 at the disputed area. Both sides had then used heavy weapons, including bombs, rockets and tanks, leaving 10 dead.
The new skirmish took place as Indonesia, the current Asean chair, planned to send observers to the Thai-Cambodian border. This had been agreed to at the Asean Foreign Ministers Meeting in Jakarta on Feb 22.
The border dispute flared up as both nations claim the area surrounding the 1,000-year-old Preah Vihear Hindu Temple. The area, including an access route to the temple, has yet to be demarcated.
The International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that the temple was located in Cambodia. The temple has been listed as a world heritage site by Unesco in 2008.
Three clashes had been reported - on July 15, 2008, October 2008 and April 3, 2009 - since the temple was included in the world heritage list on July 8, 2008.
The observers have been mandated to assist and support the parties in respecting their commitment to avoid further armed clashes between them, by observing and reporting complaints about violations and submitting their findings to each party through Indonesia.
Since February, Phnom Penh had indicated its readiness to welcome the observers and prepared to station them at the disputed area, but Bangkok was still working on its terms.
Bangkok does not want observers to be stationed in the area. Additionally, it insists that the observers must not wear uniforms, be unarmed and be regarded only as part of the Indonesian embassy staff.
The proposed Thai-Cambodian General Border Committee (GBC) meeting in Bogor, Indonesia, on April 7, did not occur when Bangkok refused to attend the meeting in a third country.
However, the Asean Foreign Ministers Meeting in February agreed that future Thai-Cambodia bilateral meetings must be temporarily held in a third country.
Thai Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, who is the co-chair of the GBC, took a firm stand that he would not attend the bilateral meeting in a third country.
However, Bangkok attended the Thai-Cambodian Joint Boundary Commission (JBC) in Bogor on April 7 and 8.
Both meetings were originally scheduled to be held simultaneously.
BANGKOK, April 22 (Bernama) -- A Thai soldier was killed and five others injured during another clash between Thai and Cambodian troops at the Thai-Cambodian border on Friday morning, barely two months after a ceasefire was declared.
Police spokesman Pol Mej Gen Prawut Thawornsiri said the clash occurred near the ancient temples of Tamuen and Takwai, near Thai Santisuk village, Phanom Dongrak district of Surin province, at about 6am.
Both sides were reported to be firing guns and artillery. Villagers in the area have been evacuated, he said.
Previous clashes occurred on Feb 4 and 16 at the disputed area. Both sides had then used heavy weapons, including bombs, rockets and tanks, leaving 10 dead.
The new skirmish took place as Indonesia, the current Asean chair, planned to send observers to the Thai-Cambodian border. This had been agreed to at the Asean Foreign Ministers Meeting in Jakarta on Feb 22.
The border dispute flared up as both nations claim the area surrounding the 1,000-year-old Preah Vihear Hindu Temple. The area, including an access route to the temple, has yet to be demarcated.
The International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that the temple was located in Cambodia. The temple has been listed as a world heritage site by Unesco in 2008.
Three clashes had been reported - on July 15, 2008, October 2008 and April 3, 2009 - since the temple was included in the world heritage list on July 8, 2008.
The observers have been mandated to assist and support the parties in respecting their commitment to avoid further armed clashes between them, by observing and reporting complaints about violations and submitting their findings to each party through Indonesia.
Since February, Phnom Penh had indicated its readiness to welcome the observers and prepared to station them at the disputed area, but Bangkok was still working on its terms.
Bangkok does not want observers to be stationed in the area. Additionally, it insists that the observers must not wear uniforms, be unarmed and be regarded only as part of the Indonesian embassy staff.
The proposed Thai-Cambodian General Border Committee (GBC) meeting in Bogor, Indonesia, on April 7, did not occur when Bangkok refused to attend the meeting in a third country.
However, the Asean Foreign Ministers Meeting in February agreed that future Thai-Cambodia bilateral meetings must be temporarily held in a third country.
Thai Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, who is the co-chair of the GBC, took a firm stand that he would not attend the bilateral meeting in a third country.
However, Bangkok attended the Thai-Cambodian Joint Boundary Commission (JBC) in Bogor on April 7 and 8.
Both meetings were originally scheduled to be held simultaneously.