ID :
177346
Sat, 04/23/2011 - 05:56
Auther :
Shortlink :
https://oananews.org//node/177346
The shortlink copeid
ABHISIT THAI-CAMBODIAN GBC TO HELD SOON
BY JAMALUDDIN MUHAMMAD
BANGKOK, April 23 (Bernama) -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva wants two Thai-Cambodian bilateral mechanisms to be activated following the latest armed clash at the border which left four Thai soldiers dead and 13 others injured.
Abhisit said the General Border Committee (GBC) and the Regional Border Committee (RBC) meetings must be held soon.
He said both meetings could either be held in this capital or Phnom Penh in addressing the latest development.
The 6am clash occurred at a hill near the ancient temples of Tamuen and Takwai, near Thai Santisuk village, Phanom Dongrakdistrict of Surin province, with both sides exchanging artillery and gun fire.
According to the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand, the death toll now has reached four with 13 soldiers injured.
"Bilateral mechanisms could be utilized to settle the problem and there is no need to forward the matter to the Asean level.
"The matter will be more difficult to be handled and resolved if it was forwarded to Asean as bilateral mechanisms are still in place to tackle the problem," Abhisit said.
The GBC is co-chaired by the Defence Ministers of the two respective countries while the RBC is co-chaired by the Commanding General of Second Army Region of Thailand and the Fourth Army Commander of Cambodia.
Following the February clashes between troops of both countries at the disputed border area, Phnom Penh had made clear its stand that its future bilateral meeting with Bangkok on border security matters must be held in the presence of a third party.
Phnom Penh took the strong stand as it felt previous bilateral meetings on the matter failed to achieve tangible results.
Bangkok on the other hand preferred bilateral mechanisms in addressing differences with its neighbour.
The Asean Foreign Ministers meeting which was attended too by Thai and Cambodian foreign ministers, held in Jakarta on Feb 22, among others, agreed that immediate future bilateral meetingS between the two countries must be held in a third country.
However, the proposed Thai-Cambodian GBC in Bogor on April 7 and 8 did not take place as Bangkok refused to attend the meeting in a third country.
The border dispute flared up as both nations claimed an area of 4.6 sq km surrounding the 1,000-year-old Preah Vihear Hindu Temple. The area, including access routes to the temple, has yet to be demarcated.
The International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that the temple was located in Cambodia. The temple has been listed as a world heritage site by UNESCO in 2008.
Prior to this, four clashes have been reported at the disputed area – on July 15, 2008, October 2008, April 3, 2009 and Feb 4 2011.
The new skirmish took place as Indonesia, the current Asean chair, planned to send observers to the Thai-Cambodian border as had been agreed upon during the February's Asean Foreign Ministers meeting.
Since then, Phnom Penh has indicated its readiness to welcome the observers and is prepared to station them at the disputed area, but Bangkok is still working on its terms currently.
Bangkok does not want observers to be stationed in the area. Additionally, it insists that the observers must not wear uniforms, be unarmed and be regarded only as part of the Indonesian embassy staff.
The observers have been mandated to assist and support the parties in respecting their commitment to avoid further armed clashes between them, by observing and reporting complaints about violations and submitting their findings to each party through Indonesia.
Meanwhile, Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said Bangkok today sent a protest note to Phnom Penh for violating an agreement which prohibit the movement of troops in the disputed hill near the two ancient temples.
"No armed troop movements from either side will be allowed in the disputed hill, and Cambodian soldiers had trespassed the area this morning thus instigating a violent clash," he said.
Kasit said he had explained Friday's development to other Asean member countries.
BANGKOK, April 23 (Bernama) -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva wants two Thai-Cambodian bilateral mechanisms to be activated following the latest armed clash at the border which left four Thai soldiers dead and 13 others injured.
Abhisit said the General Border Committee (GBC) and the Regional Border Committee (RBC) meetings must be held soon.
He said both meetings could either be held in this capital or Phnom Penh in addressing the latest development.
The 6am clash occurred at a hill near the ancient temples of Tamuen and Takwai, near Thai Santisuk village, Phanom Dongrakdistrict of Surin province, with both sides exchanging artillery and gun fire.
According to the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand, the death toll now has reached four with 13 soldiers injured.
"Bilateral mechanisms could be utilized to settle the problem and there is no need to forward the matter to the Asean level.
"The matter will be more difficult to be handled and resolved if it was forwarded to Asean as bilateral mechanisms are still in place to tackle the problem," Abhisit said.
The GBC is co-chaired by the Defence Ministers of the two respective countries while the RBC is co-chaired by the Commanding General of Second Army Region of Thailand and the Fourth Army Commander of Cambodia.
Following the February clashes between troops of both countries at the disputed border area, Phnom Penh had made clear its stand that its future bilateral meeting with Bangkok on border security matters must be held in the presence of a third party.
Phnom Penh took the strong stand as it felt previous bilateral meetings on the matter failed to achieve tangible results.
Bangkok on the other hand preferred bilateral mechanisms in addressing differences with its neighbour.
The Asean Foreign Ministers meeting which was attended too by Thai and Cambodian foreign ministers, held in Jakarta on Feb 22, among others, agreed that immediate future bilateral meetingS between the two countries must be held in a third country.
However, the proposed Thai-Cambodian GBC in Bogor on April 7 and 8 did not take place as Bangkok refused to attend the meeting in a third country.
The border dispute flared up as both nations claimed an area of 4.6 sq km surrounding the 1,000-year-old Preah Vihear Hindu Temple. The area, including access routes to the temple, has yet to be demarcated.
The International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that the temple was located in Cambodia. The temple has been listed as a world heritage site by UNESCO in 2008.
Prior to this, four clashes have been reported at the disputed area – on July 15, 2008, October 2008, April 3, 2009 and Feb 4 2011.
The new skirmish took place as Indonesia, the current Asean chair, planned to send observers to the Thai-Cambodian border as had been agreed upon during the February's Asean Foreign Ministers meeting.
Since then, Phnom Penh has indicated its readiness to welcome the observers and is prepared to station them at the disputed area, but Bangkok is still working on its terms currently.
Bangkok does not want observers to be stationed in the area. Additionally, it insists that the observers must not wear uniforms, be unarmed and be regarded only as part of the Indonesian embassy staff.
The observers have been mandated to assist and support the parties in respecting their commitment to avoid further armed clashes between them, by observing and reporting complaints about violations and submitting their findings to each party through Indonesia.
Meanwhile, Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said Bangkok today sent a protest note to Phnom Penh for violating an agreement which prohibit the movement of troops in the disputed hill near the two ancient temples.
"No armed troop movements from either side will be allowed in the disputed hill, and Cambodian soldiers had trespassed the area this morning thus instigating a violent clash," he said.
Kasit said he had explained Friday's development to other Asean member countries.