ID :
182013
Fri, 05/13/2011 - 20:21
Auther :
Shortlink :
https://oananews.org//node/182013
The shortlink copeid
SC blow to ruling BJP in Karnataka,CM says no fresh confidence
New Delhi/Bangalore (PTI) - In a huge blow to
ruling BJP in south Indian state of Karnataka, the Supreme
Court on Friday quashed the Assembly Speaker's controversial
decision to disqualify 16 MLAs on the eve of the no-confidence
motion last year which had ensured survival of the Yeddyurappa
government.
Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa said the State
government would obey the Supreme Court order but asserted
that the question of seeking a fresh vote of confidence in the
Assembly does not arise.
Congress said it was for the Karnataka unit of the
party to decide whether it would press the BJP's first
Government in the South to prove its majority afresh in the
Assembly following taoday's order.
A bench headed by justice Altamas Kabir while setting
aside Speaker K G Bopaiah's decision said basic constitutional
values and principles of natural justice were not observed by
him in disqualifying the 11 rebel BJP and five independent
legislators.
The apex court passed the order while setting aside
the Karnataka High Court verdict upholding the Speaker's
decision, aggrieved by which the disqualified legislators had
moved the apex court.
The court ruling came on an appeal by four of the
11 disqualified BJP MLAs against the high court order
upholding the Speaker's decision.
Asked if he would prove his majority in the House,
Yeddyurappa told reporters in Bangalore, "That question (of
seeking vote of confidence) does not arise".
Noting that the 11 legislators had admitted they are
BJP members, Yeddyurappa said they have been asked to attend
the budget session of the State Legislature commencing on
Monday and they would "continue as BJP members from this
moment".
"We will obey the order of the Supreme Court", he
said, adding, "People are with us; it's proved today...all the
three seats (bypolls) we have won".
The Chief Minister asserted that the BJP government
enjoyed majority in the 225-member Assembly. The BJP has the
support of its 119 members (he included 11 rebels whose
disqualification by the Speaker was set aside by the Apex
Court today), one independent and the Speaker.
JDS chief H D Deve Gowda demanded that the Karnataka
Governor H R Bhardwaj exercise his constitutional powers and
dismiss Yeddyurappa-led BJP ministry in the wake of the
Supreme Court order.
Congress while welcoming the Supreme Court verdict
said it showed that the earlier judgement of the lower court
on the issue was "not correct."
Party General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi, however,
steered clear of questions whether it would work along with
JD-S to provide an alternative to the BJP dispensation in the
state. "It is too much to comment at this moment," he said.
"It is for the state party to decide," he said when
asked whether the Congress would again press the BJP
government to prove its majority in the Assembly.
Venugopal also informed the court that teams of ED
officals would also be going to five foreign countries in
tracking the money trail involved in 2G scam.
The bench also wanted to know from him about the
progress into the probe based on the status report filed by
the CBI relating to 10 destinations abroad.
"Some team is going to Mauritus on May 16. Is there a
a plan for the CBI team to go to any other destination?" the
bench asked.
"It is an untiring crusade," the bench said when
advocate Prashant Bhushan, appearing for and NGO, Centre for
Public Interest Litigation (CPIL), said top people from the
telecom companies allegedly involved in the scam should be
charge sheeted.
"How can they (CBI) wash its hand. All people right to
the top should be charge sheeted," he said.
The bench also said that arguments of the petitioner
NGO seeking appointment of committee to assist the court in
monitoring the case required serious consideration.
The CBI also placed before the bench its probe report
on journalist Upendra Rai against whom a complaint was filed
by ED official for allegedly trying to bribe him.
The bench after going through the report said that
findings were "quite serious" and directed the agency to
expedite the inquiry against him.
The court asked the agency to submit its report on
July 6.
The apex court had earlier agreed to look into the
issue of Rai, director (News) Sahara News Network, over
allegations that he had tried to bribe one of the ED officers
by offering to give him Rs.two crore to benefit corporate
lobbyist Niira Radia.
ruling BJP in south Indian state of Karnataka, the Supreme
Court on Friday quashed the Assembly Speaker's controversial
decision to disqualify 16 MLAs on the eve of the no-confidence
motion last year which had ensured survival of the Yeddyurappa
government.
Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa said the State
government would obey the Supreme Court order but asserted
that the question of seeking a fresh vote of confidence in the
Assembly does not arise.
Congress said it was for the Karnataka unit of the
party to decide whether it would press the BJP's first
Government in the South to prove its majority afresh in the
Assembly following taoday's order.
A bench headed by justice Altamas Kabir while setting
aside Speaker K G Bopaiah's decision said basic constitutional
values and principles of natural justice were not observed by
him in disqualifying the 11 rebel BJP and five independent
legislators.
The apex court passed the order while setting aside
the Karnataka High Court verdict upholding the Speaker's
decision, aggrieved by which the disqualified legislators had
moved the apex court.
The court ruling came on an appeal by four of the
11 disqualified BJP MLAs against the high court order
upholding the Speaker's decision.
Asked if he would prove his majority in the House,
Yeddyurappa told reporters in Bangalore, "That question (of
seeking vote of confidence) does not arise".
Noting that the 11 legislators had admitted they are
BJP members, Yeddyurappa said they have been asked to attend
the budget session of the State Legislature commencing on
Monday and they would "continue as BJP members from this
moment".
"We will obey the order of the Supreme Court", he
said, adding, "People are with us; it's proved today...all the
three seats (bypolls) we have won".
The Chief Minister asserted that the BJP government
enjoyed majority in the 225-member Assembly. The BJP has the
support of its 119 members (he included 11 rebels whose
disqualification by the Speaker was set aside by the Apex
Court today), one independent and the Speaker.
JDS chief H D Deve Gowda demanded that the Karnataka
Governor H R Bhardwaj exercise his constitutional powers and
dismiss Yeddyurappa-led BJP ministry in the wake of the
Supreme Court order.
Congress while welcoming the Supreme Court verdict
said it showed that the earlier judgement of the lower court
on the issue was "not correct."
Party General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi, however,
steered clear of questions whether it would work along with
JD-S to provide an alternative to the BJP dispensation in the
state. "It is too much to comment at this moment," he said.
"It is for the state party to decide," he said when
asked whether the Congress would again press the BJP
government to prove its majority in the Assembly.
Venugopal also informed the court that teams of ED
officals would also be going to five foreign countries in
tracking the money trail involved in 2G scam.
The bench also wanted to know from him about the
progress into the probe based on the status report filed by
the CBI relating to 10 destinations abroad.
"Some team is going to Mauritus on May 16. Is there a
a plan for the CBI team to go to any other destination?" the
bench asked.
"It is an untiring crusade," the bench said when
advocate Prashant Bhushan, appearing for and NGO, Centre for
Public Interest Litigation (CPIL), said top people from the
telecom companies allegedly involved in the scam should be
charge sheeted.
"How can they (CBI) wash its hand. All people right to
the top should be charge sheeted," he said.
The bench also said that arguments of the petitioner
NGO seeking appointment of committee to assist the court in
monitoring the case required serious consideration.
The CBI also placed before the bench its probe report
on journalist Upendra Rai against whom a complaint was filed
by ED official for allegedly trying to bribe him.
The bench after going through the report said that
findings were "quite serious" and directed the agency to
expedite the inquiry against him.
The court asked the agency to submit its report on
July 6.
The apex court had earlier agreed to look into the
issue of Rai, director (News) Sahara News Network, over
allegations that he had tried to bribe one of the ED officers
by offering to give him Rs.two crore to benefit corporate
lobbyist Niira Radia.