ID :
191547
Tue, 06/28/2011 - 12:45
Auther :
Shortlink :
https://oananews.org//node/191547
The shortlink copeid
Pyongyang spurns Seoul's efforts to hold bilateral nuclear talks
SEOUL, June 28 (Yonhap) -- North Korea said Tuesday it would reject a proposal by South Korea to hold bilateral nuclear talks, even though an apology for last year's attacks on the South is no longer a prerequisite for such talks to take place.
South Korean officials said this week that Seoul is willing to hold a bilateral meeting with Pyongyang to discuss nuclear issues on the Korean Peninsula before resuming multilateral denuclearization talks, separating South Korea from its adamant demand for an apology over the two deadly cross-border attacks last year.
Officials in Seoul said they could demand that Pyongyang apologize for the sinking of the Cheonan warship and the shelling of Yeonpyeong Island at another bilateral meeting with Pyongyang, such as inter-Korean military talks, or through other channels.
In response, Minju Joson, the North's official newspaper, denounced the South's flexible approach as a "stupid trick to avoid criticism at home and abroad."
The North's newspaper accused South Korea of "deteriorating inter-Korean relations by making an issue of the Cheonan and Yeonpyeong incidents and putting a brake on the resumption of" North Korea-U.S. talks and the six-party negotiations.
North Korea denies it sank the South Korean warship and claims its shelling on Yeonpyeong Island was provoked by the South's artillery drill.
The North's latest criticism is expected to further dim hopes for reopening the six-party forum on persuading Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons program in return for aid and diplomatic recognition.
Improved inter-Korean relations are a key prerequisite for resuming the six-party talks, which involve the two Koreas, the U.S., China, Japan and Russia. The six-party process has been stalled for more than two years since the North stormed out of the talks after a new round of U.N. sanctions.
The prospects for holding inter-Korean talks on denuclearization have also remained uncertain since North Korea has used its nuclear weapons programs as important leverage to improve ties with the U.S., not South Korea.
South Korean officials said this week that Seoul is willing to hold a bilateral meeting with Pyongyang to discuss nuclear issues on the Korean Peninsula before resuming multilateral denuclearization talks, separating South Korea from its adamant demand for an apology over the two deadly cross-border attacks last year.
Officials in Seoul said they could demand that Pyongyang apologize for the sinking of the Cheonan warship and the shelling of Yeonpyeong Island at another bilateral meeting with Pyongyang, such as inter-Korean military talks, or through other channels.
In response, Minju Joson, the North's official newspaper, denounced the South's flexible approach as a "stupid trick to avoid criticism at home and abroad."
The North's newspaper accused South Korea of "deteriorating inter-Korean relations by making an issue of the Cheonan and Yeonpyeong incidents and putting a brake on the resumption of" North Korea-U.S. talks and the six-party negotiations.
North Korea denies it sank the South Korean warship and claims its shelling on Yeonpyeong Island was provoked by the South's artillery drill.
The North's latest criticism is expected to further dim hopes for reopening the six-party forum on persuading Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons program in return for aid and diplomatic recognition.
Improved inter-Korean relations are a key prerequisite for resuming the six-party talks, which involve the two Koreas, the U.S., China, Japan and Russia. The six-party process has been stalled for more than two years since the North stormed out of the talks after a new round of U.N. sanctions.
The prospects for holding inter-Korean talks on denuclearization have also remained uncertain since North Korea has used its nuclear weapons programs as important leverage to improve ties with the U.S., not South Korea.