ID :
191548
Tue, 06/28/2011 - 12:48
Auther :

5-year-olds to receive kindergarten subsidies next year

SEOUL, June 28 (Yonhap) -- The government will cover preschool education expenses for all 5-year-olds from next year as part of efforts to help lessen the burden of childcare, which is blamed as one of the reasons for the nation's low birth rates, officials said Tuesday.
The ministries of education and health jointly announced a plan to expand the child support program. Currently, only children aged 5 from low-income families are entitled to a state subsidy of 177,000 won (US$163) a month.
The expanded program, which adds to the nine years of free education that are already being provided at elementary and middle schools, calls for providing each 5-year-old child with 200,000 won a month if they are enrolled at private kindergartens or day care centers.
The subsidy for those who go to state-run kindergartens will remain the same at 59,000 won a month as the government finances the operations of those facilities, officials said.
The government will gradually increase the subsidy for students at private kindergartens to 300,000 won by 2016, officials said.
Last month, the government promised to introduce a common preschool curriculum for 5-year-olds and shoulder most of the costs for households to help more children receive quality early education.
The plan is in line with the government's fights against a declining birthrate. Surveys show that many young couples have cited the country's high educational cost as a reason for opting not to have children.
South Korea's birthrate in 2009 was 1.15 children per woman, the lowest among countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
ejkim@yna.co.kr

X