ID :
191925
Thu, 06/30/2011 - 06:01
Auther :
Shortlink :
https://oananews.org//node/191925
The shortlink copeid
S. Korea refuses to accept N. Korea's warning message
(ATTN: UPDATES with comment by South Korean official; minor edits)
SEOUL, June 30 (Yonhap) -- South Korea refused to accept a warning message from North Korea over its alleged smear campaign against the North's leaders, an official said Thursday.
North Korea tried to send the message of its propaganda committee to South Korea's presidential office on Wednesday through a person at the truce village of Panmunjom, the official said.
But the official said Seoul refused to accept it, noting it was not appropriate for the committee to send a message directly to the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae.
The North has also refused to accept South Korea's messages in the past, the official said, without elaborating.
Seoul's move prompted Pyongyang to disclose the message through its official Korean Central News Agency late Wednesday.
The message repeated Pyongyang's latest demand that Seoul apologize for alleged provocations, punish those who are responsible and remove all the foul military slogans slandering the North's top leaders.
"If the South continues to connive at the provocations defiling the dignity of the leadership of the (North), the (North) will resolutely counter them with an all-out military retaliation," the committee said in the message.
In a separate statement on Wednesday, the North also threatened to launch a retaliatory "sacred war" against South Korea over the smear campaign.
North Korea bristles at criticism of its leader Kim Jong-il and his late father and the country's founder, Kim Il-sung, the subjects of a massive cult of personality that pervades almost every aspect of North Korean society.
Tensions have persisted between the two Koreas over Pyongyang's two deadly attacks on the South last year that killed 50 South Koreans. Still, the North has refused to take responsibility for the attacks.
(END)
SEOUL, June 30 (Yonhap) -- South Korea refused to accept a warning message from North Korea over its alleged smear campaign against the North's leaders, an official said Thursday.
North Korea tried to send the message of its propaganda committee to South Korea's presidential office on Wednesday through a person at the truce village of Panmunjom, the official said.
But the official said Seoul refused to accept it, noting it was not appropriate for the committee to send a message directly to the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae.
The North has also refused to accept South Korea's messages in the past, the official said, without elaborating.
Seoul's move prompted Pyongyang to disclose the message through its official Korean Central News Agency late Wednesday.
The message repeated Pyongyang's latest demand that Seoul apologize for alleged provocations, punish those who are responsible and remove all the foul military slogans slandering the North's top leaders.
"If the South continues to connive at the provocations defiling the dignity of the leadership of the (North), the (North) will resolutely counter them with an all-out military retaliation," the committee said in the message.
In a separate statement on Wednesday, the North also threatened to launch a retaliatory "sacred war" against South Korea over the smear campaign.
North Korea bristles at criticism of its leader Kim Jong-il and his late father and the country's founder, Kim Il-sung, the subjects of a massive cult of personality that pervades almost every aspect of North Korean society.
Tensions have persisted between the two Koreas over Pyongyang's two deadly attacks on the South last year that killed 50 South Koreans. Still, the North has refused to take responsibility for the attacks.
(END)