ID :
193097
Wed, 07/06/2011 - 03:28
Auther :
Shortlink :
https://oananews.org//node/193097
The shortlink copeid
Rockets fall outside S. Korean reconstruction base in Afghanistan
SEOUL, July 6 (Yonhap) -- Rockets fell outside the South Korean base for its reconstruction workers and troops in Afghanistan, but no casualties were reported, Seoul's Foreign Ministry said Wednesday. Five rounds of rocket-propelled grenades were apparently fired toward the base in the city of Charikar in the northern Afghan province of Parwan around 1:47 a.m. on Wednesday (local time), a ministry official said. Wednesday's attack is the 12th this year and the seventh since the death in May of former Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, who was killed by a team of U.S. special troops. "There were no casualties," the official said on the condition of anonymity. "We will work with the Afghan police to determine the details as soon as day breaks there." No casualties were reported in any of the previous attacks, but South Korean officials suspect that recent attacks may be linked to revenge attacks by the Taliban rebels. South Korea's provincial reconstruction team (PRT), comprised of some 90 aid workers and police officers, launched a mission to help rebuild the war-torn nation in August last year. Some 340 Korean troops are stationed at the Charikar base to guard the PRT workers.